Saturday, April 24, 2010

When He Lingers

Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. (John 11:5-6)

This is really an oddity. I thought that if you loved someone you would hurry to their rescue. But, no! Not Jesus. He follows a different timetable. I for sure would have preferred that He swiftly came to my salvage when I was in trouble. I don’t know how you are wired, but if I learn that someone is in dire need I do not postpone my involvement or aid for two days because I love that person.

Anyway, there are some great lessons in those two brief sentences. If Jesus doesn’t come to your rescue immediately it doesn’t mean that He has abandoned you or that He doesn’t love you. On the contrary, if He lingers it is because He loves you dearly and because He has a miracle up His sleeve.

Your deliverance will come in His perfect timing and when it comes it is going to render you in utter awe. In the meantime He asks you to trust Him and make your bed, that is, make yourself comfortable in your transient “hell”. When Jesus raised Lazarus from the death many turned to Jesus and believed in Him. So, your troubles aren’t perhaps so often about you, but as a beloved child of the Most High you are His conduit for bringing life and repentance, that is, a change of mind regarding God to many.

I ask you to never assume that Jesus doesn’t love you when you face your dreaded darkest hours, because He does. In fact, He goes through those seasons as you. He intimately knows your thoughts. He cries with you, and your heart’s sorrows break His heart. If you listen carefully you will hear Him in your heart saying: “I have gone through this before. I know how it is and I know how to deal with it. If you put your trust in me you will see that I carry you through everything. And it is my responsibility to glorify you and myself through it all. So, rest in me.”

"He loves you not only because you are here, but also you are here because He loved you into existence" (Malcolm Smith)

He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] (Hebr 13:5 Amplified)

No comments: