Monday, May 3, 2010

Friends

But you, Israel, are my servant. You’re Jacob, my first choice, descendants of my good friend Abraham. (Isa 41:8 – The Message)

I am a descendant of Abraham. There is no doubt in my mind that this is true and an uncontestable fact. I am Abraham’s offspring, because I share the faith of Abraham. In other words I am God’s first choice. I am of perfect quality. God has fearfully and wonderfully made me, and when He had finished the task He said: “It is very good!” As a new creation there is nothing wrong with me. I am perfected through one offering.

God calls Abraham His good friend. Hold that thought for a second! The creator of the universe calls a created human being His good friend. Do you think that you are worse off than Abraham? Your Heavenly Papa calls you His good friend as well. What a majestic thought that is!

For many years I thought that few would like to be my friend. I perceived myself as boring, rather dull and not particularly exciting to be around. Those signals I received from the surroundings seemed to verify my suspicions. My negative self perception became increasingly entrenched in my mind and as I grew older, and my conduct reflected my poor self image.

It wasn’t until Jesus picked me up that I began to loosen up, notably when He began to show me how much He appreciated my unique being. He didn’t have any problems with me being an introvert. In fact He found my thought processes very intriguing. I aroused His curiosity. He plainly told me that He wanted to be my friend. I truly appreciate His friendship, because He is so supportive. He is never disappointed in me or angry with me. Even though I sometimes can be very quiet He respects my moods. He is never importunate. We have a lot in common. We read the same books and enjoy the same kind of music.

His loving friendship has untangled a lot of knots and I am thus flourishing like never before. He has even showed me some sides and talents that my Father has endowed me with that I wasn’t aware of and which discovery has enriched my life considerably. I am far from being boring. On the contrary, I am a very colorful and exciting person to be with.

No comments: