Monday, July 6, 2009

Obedience...another word for slavery...or perhaps not

I am sitting here reflecting on the word obedience. I hear and see a lot of people talk about obedience as if everything depends on our ability to be obedient according to how the law defines obedience. However, when I read John, particularly the first chapters, Jesus redefines obedience. He asserts that obedience is to believe in Him, that he is God’s son and that he is send with the mission of saving souls. This is obviously the grace perspective on obedience; simply to believe that what he said about himself is true. Furthermore, this is the truth that will liberate us. So, obedience is for me to rest in the fact that Jesus has saved me. Simple as that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ole, you are absolutely right. Obedience comes from within. Control comes from outside influences. Let me explain, when we are obey to the governent, church and the pastors because they told us to do certain things, that control. When I obey someone becasue I love them and because I want to, the true obedience. The church has exerted CONTROl on its members for 2000 years. No wonder the world finds it really ugly.

Blessings.
Lennart

ps. I will try to read the Norwegian blogs, but I will not comment:)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Lennart, and you are so right!

Feel free to comment on the articles written in Norwegian by using English :)